Climate Change Adaptation in Scotland
Climate change policy in Scotland responds to both a UK and a Scottish framework. There are two key pieces of legislation: the UK Climate Change Act 2008 and the Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009. The UK Act requires a Climate Change Risk Assessment (CCRA) every five years. It is the basis for adaptation policy in both Scotland and the UK.
The Scottish Climate Change Adaptation Programme (SCCAP)
The Scottish Climate Change Adaptation Programme (SCCAP) addresses the impacts identified for Scotland in the UK Climate Change Risk Assessment (CCRA). It sets out the Scottish Government’s objectives in relation to adaptation to climate change.
Published in May 2014, the programme also sets out Scottish Ministers proposals and policies for meeting those objectives, and the period within which those proposals and policies will be introduced.
Public Bodies Duties
The Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009 established the Public Bodies Climate Change Duties which came into force on 1 January 2011. It requires that Public Bodies exercise their functions:
- in a way best calculated to contribute to deliver the Act’s emissions reduction targets;
- in a way best calculated to deliver any statutory adaptation programme; and
- in a way that it considers most sustainable.
Part of delivering the adaptation programme involves reporting on adaptation work through the Public Bodies Climate Change Reporting. This was introduced on a voluntary basis in November 2015 and became mandatory to report on an annual basis in 2016.
To support you with the adaptation section of the reports, Adaptation Scotland have developed Five steps to managing your climate risks. This guidance document is designed to help you understand what is involved in an adaptation process and support you to make progress with adaptation. Keep Scotland Beautiful have also published guidance notes to help Public Bodies complete their reports: Guidance Notes for completing your Public Bodies Climate Change Duties Report, 2015-16.
Download our one page summary of Adaptation Policy, produced with ClimateXChange
Other policy drivers
- The Civil Contingencies Act (2004)
- Planning etc (Scotland) Act 2006
- Marine (Scotland) Act 2010
- Flood Risk Management (Scotland) Act 2009
Policies and Frameworks
- National Planning Framework 3 (2014)
- Scottish Planning Policy (2014)
- Scottish Soil Framework (2009)
Strategies and plans
- Flood Risk Management Strategies
- Local Flood Risk Management Plans
- Local Development Plans
- Land Use Strategy